From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Randy Korotev
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 5:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: GPS receivers

Patrick:

I've been using a Garmin III+ for about two years now (now replaced by
GPS V).

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps5/

I won't leave home without it.  A GPS receiver is an excellent tool for
traveling and birding.  It saved me time on numerous occasions while
birding in California last summer.  For example, I instantly knew when
I'd turned onto the wrong road (happened a lot).  I always know exactly
how far my destination is and the direction (as the crow flies).  I was
able to tell a friend exactly (within 30 feet) where I found the
California Gnatcatcher.

For birding, I've got locations of most places I regularly go stored as
waypoints.  This weekend, for example, while on a field trip to Carlyle
Lake in Illinois, I was able to say at one point that we were exactly
2.2 miles from a spot where we'd been an hour earlier and that we could
see across the lake.  That's trivial, but fun.  More importantly, using
directions (e.g., Snowy Owl on Mobirds) and a good map web site
(MapQuest or Topozone) or software (DeLorme), I've been able to program
a waypoint ahead of time and make my way to it easily while driving or
walking.  (There was an article about this kind of thing in Birding a
year or two ago.)  Any good GPS also leaves a breadcrumb trail that you
can track back, as long as you have the unit on while walking or
traveling.  That's been great fun on a pelagic trips because otherwise
you don't know where you are or have been.  There are numerous little
features.  For example, it will tell you exactly how fast you are
walking, driving, or flying (I've used it on airplanes, though some
airlines disallow it).  It tells you the exact time, and when local
sunrise and sunset is.

I bought a high end model ($370, 2 years ago) because I knew that I'd
want to Interface it to my PC.  For some extra bucks (~$100), I got
software (CD's), with lots of maps (Street Atlas).  The unit (and most
GPS
receivers) comes with basic maps (federal and state highways) wired in,
but I can now upload detailed maps (all the roads) into the device for
several counties at a time.  So, before I go somewhere, I install the
detail maps for the area.  I couldn't resist also getting the 3 CDs of
topographic maps.  That was very handy on the Weldon Spring CBC when I
decided to find the Missouri River (and get back) by going cross
country.  When I got home, I downloaded my track to the PC and was able
to see just where I'd been.  I also knew that I'd walked exactly 9.7
miles, which was handy for reporting "miles walked" to the compiler.

I think the $150 models are also very good, but harder to use.  I've
been very impressed at the design and ruggedness of the Garmin (made in
Kansas), but there are several other good brands.  The DeLorme receivers
can be used directly with their StreetAtlas and Topo USA software, which
seems like a good idea to me.  A cigarette lighter adapter for the car
is a must; any GPS eats alkaline batteries.

Here's the best part - Even my wife likes it and admits its a good thing
to travel with.

Randy Korotev