The Snowy Owl continues to be seen in Knox County. It was present today,
January 18th. Seen by Anne and Donald Downing, Scott Johnston, Jean
Leonati, Chris Snook, Susan Hazelwood and myself, its precise location
was ~1 mile NORTH of the Hwy 15 / Hwy 11 intersection ON Hwy 15. It was
being seen either on the ground or perched on a green "water tank?" that
sits approximately 150 yards off of the highway on the east side of the
road.

Also seen in the area were ~50 Lapland Longspurs. These were being seen
on Hwy 15 approximately 4 miles north of Edina. This is before you get
to the Snowy Owl area if you are coming from Edina. There is a section
of the highway that runs directly east / west for about 1.5 miles. At
the far west end of this stretch, the road takes a right angle turn to
the north. At this corner are a couple large grain bins. The longspurs
were seen in the field on the south side of the road. However, they were
moving around a bit so it is likely they could be on either side of the
road and anywhere within .5 miles either direction from the grain bins.

Jean and her crew and I drove over to North Sever to look for owls. We
had a brief view of a Long-eared Owl. We were unable to relocate the
bird as it flew probably one to two ridges to the west of our original
sighting of the bird in flight.

Patrick

  _____

Patrick Harrison