From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
David Farmer
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2003 4:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Skidmore Northern Shrike

I refound the Northern Shrike this morning along highway DD west of
Skidmore between the Nodaway River and the next gravel road.  It was
very skitterish, and about the time we were able to get a decent look
for more than a second or two, a local farmer stopped to see what we
were doing, gave us a weird look, and informed us that it was only a
sparrow and then drove off scaring away the shrike with it.  30 minutes
later it finally came back to the wires along the road, and then flew to
a close bush, to display itself.

There were Horned Larks everywhere too, but couldn't find any Longspurs.

Also, the Public Phone in Skidmore doesn't work, but the people in the
gas station across the street will make change for you to use it, and
then watch and laugh at you when the phone takes your money.  It must be
the local prank on the 'outsiders.'

David Farmer
Maryville