Yes, it is very much against the law.  Birds, except those during seasons
(ducks, geese, quail, etc) are protected. The only species of birds that are
not protected and have no season are English House Sparrows and European
Starlings.

Here's a link that explains it all much better than I could.

http://migratorybirds.fws.gov/intrnltr/treatlaw.html

Hope this helps...

Julie Lundsted

Jefferson City, MO