I refound the Northern Shrike this morning along highway DD west of Skidmore
between the Nodaway River and the next gravel road.  It was very skitterish,
and about the time we were able to get a decent look for more than a second
or two, a local farmer stopped to see what we were doing, gave us a weird
look, and informed us that it was only a sparrow and then drove off scaring
away the shrike with it.  30 minutes later it finally came back to the wires
along the road, and then flew to a close bush, to display itself.

There were Horned Larks everywhere too, but couldn't find any Longspurs.

Also, the Public Phone in Skidmore doesn't work, but the people in the gas
station across the street will make change for you to use it, and then watch
and laugh at you when the phone takes your money.  It must be the local
prank on the 'outsiders.'

David Farmer
Maryville