  From: Joshua Uffman
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 10:46 AM
  Subject: Cemeteries and Birding

  While searching for Lakewood Park Cemetery in South St. Louis yesterday looking for the Merlin, I realized cemeteries may be real "good places" to look for birds.  We pulled into 2 of the "wrong" cemeteries in our attempt to find the Merlin.  The first cemetery we had  2 American Kestrels perched in trees.   The next cemetery we had a Coopers Hawk flying very low overhead.............Finally we found the "right" cemetery and found an Adult Female Merlin, of course now Jurek reports there are actually 2 present.  To top it off Torrey Berger finds a Shrike at the cemetery.  Is this common birding knowledge or places birders could be missing?

  Josh Uffman

  St. Louis County