Took a winter hike this morning at Rock Bridge SP, Devil's
Icebox area.  Observed: GC Kinglets, Pileated Woodpeckers,
lots of Downy Woodpeckers,  Belted Kingfisher, titmice, WB
Nuthatch, Ca Wren, and a very cooperative Hermit Thrush.  At
the Hinkson Creek trail near Capen Park I found 4 Brown
Creepers, in the exact spot they were a month ago for the
Christmas Bird count.  After a hot bowl of soup, I drove
through Eagle Bluffs.  Almost all frozen over, those areas
that are open have Mallard, Gadwall, Northern Shoveler and
one lone Coot!   Two separate flocks of Ring-billed Gulls
were present - each numbered 20-30; one flock was sitting on
the ice, the other sitting in a field staring down an
immature Bald Eagle that was sitting on some surface ice in
the field.  Sure tried to turn him into a Golden, but just
couldn't do it!

Jean Leonatti
Columbia, MO