There are three issues that need to be addressed.

1. HTML in messages. Some people use web-based mail programs that write
the messages in the Hyper Text Mark-up Language (HTML). Ordinarily this
is not a problem except when programs do not recognise the HTML and show
it as plain text. I have mentioned this problem before when dealing with
the issue of large files. Reading the software manual I have found a
potential solution. I have set the list not to accept HTML in the
messages. DON'T PANIC!!!!!! All this function should do is strip out the
HTML tags ( the incomprehensible text between the < and > symbols ) from
the messages and send the plain text. The only problem that may arise is
if the message contains ONLY HTML tags and then it will be rejected.

2. Retrieving email addresses. This should be a facility in your email
software and ought to be easy to set up. The request about setting the
Reply-To feature to the originator of the message or both the originator
and the list is feasable. However, I won't do this for two reasons.
Firstly this facility was set to ease the discussion aspect of this list
for EVERYONE and not top aid private discussion. Secondly, by setting
the Reply-To facility to both the list and the original sender this
would result in the original sender getting DOUBLE the number of
replies: one form the list posting and one directly from the person who
sent the reply. Cosidering the number of people who have complained
about recieving duplidcate messages in the past I don't think it is a
good idea.

3. This hasn't been discussed but I have seen a number of emails
rejected recently because they contained the server address in the body
of the message. PLEASE be careful when replying to the list and DOUBLE
CHECK that your message doesn't contain the list serve address in the
message.

Regards

Chris Snook, MObirds-L owner
Columbia