From: Robert Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cemeteries
Date: Wed, Jan 8, 2003, 6:35 PM

Cemeteries are often good birding spots for two reasons: (1) They are
relatively undisturbed and (2) they often involve trees and shrubs not found
nearby, creating an oasis for the collection of birds.

Three cemeteries that I especially value are those  in Elkhart, KS and
Ottawa, KS and Mt. Washington Cemetery in Independence, MO.

The whole town of Elhart is an oasis in the surrounding treeless prairie,
but the cemetery is, in effect, and oasis within an oasis. Its many
deciduous trees harbor warblers and flycatchers in migration and are
roosting places for Merlins and accipters in winter.

The Ottawa cemetery is a large oasis of evergreen trees in an area where
evergreens are scarce. It, too, is a good place to look for raptors in
winter, as well as kinglets, sapsuckers, etc.

Mt. Washington Cemetery has a stream flowing though it and lots of tall
trees on hillsides up to a ridge at the top, including relatively sizeable
(compared to its surroundings) tracts of little-disturbed deciduous forest.
It is an outstanding place for warblers, vireos and flycatchers in May. It
is also a place where it is possible to see lots of thrushes along the roads
from the car. If you have  good hearing (Alas, I don't anymore) it is
probably the best place to go for warblers in the immediate Kansas City area
-- not quite as good as a trip farther afield to Weston Bend S.P. or Van
Meter S.P., but almost -- a tad better than Burr Oak Woods or the Overland
Park Arboretum because of its oasis effect. In earlier years, I used to  see
Broad-winged Hawk there and suspect it nested. I still see Yellow-crowned
Night Heron there annually.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri
message                  * * SUBSCRIBE MOBIRDS-L your name
* * to [log in to unmask]                    *
archives from July 2002 on: * *
http://po.missouri.edu/archives/mobirds-l.html *