We are lucky enough to have had a pair of Pileated
nest in our woods for the last three years at least.
The two often banter back and forth much the way our
Barred Owls do all year.

One of the highlights so far was when the female
decided to grace our front yard, 20 feet from the
house, and our then 5yr old id'd the bird with much
excitement!

When we lived in Wisconsin, we saw Pileateds
regularly, and agreed that this was/is a nice way to
greet our return to Missouri.

We did lose the nest tree in the ice storm of last
January, and the sitings have become much rarer, but
we still hear the pair.  I am currently looking for a
new snag which will act as a new nest tree for the
pair.

Thanks for reminding me of the Pileated, a true sign
of northwoods wilderness.

Lynn Miller
Lone Jack,MO
Jackson CO

OK, nest tree is actually  in Johnson CO Missouri, but
it is still on our land...

http://mailplus.yahoo.com