In a message dated 1/23/2003 2:25:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> In a message dated 1/23/2003 10:42:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
>

> Maybe in Paris or Orleans you'll find some devoted followers of Jean Darc with this addiction, but generally I think
> heroin is a much greater problem.
>

> Don't you mean Jeanne d'Arc?

It is my understanding that d'Arc is an incorrect (though nearly universal) usage, implying that Joan was of "noble" birth when she was not.  I claim no expertise here, but I read somewhere recently that Jaques Barzun, who I belive does speak French and knows many things, told them this about Joan's name.

I do not know how one is supposed to refer to the Maid of Orleans under this view, so I went with Darc, which is almost surely not the answer.

Maybe someone on the list knows, and would enlighten me, as to: (i) whether the view attributed to Prof. Barzun is right and, if so, (ii) how one properly ought to refer to Joan.  (Surely, whatever the answer, "Joan of Arc" or "Jean D'Arc" is the way to go if you want to be commonly understood: still, I wonder what the technical answer is.)

Tom K