Robert, Justin,
    The Ackroyd biography has a of Eliot with his cat  George. He's seated in
a chair in what looks like a library or study--a room filled with books.
The biography also has this to say about Eliot's "personal behavior" with
regards to cats: "Eliot's own affection for small rather than large animals is
sufficiently well known, and he was the owner (or patron) of a succession
of cats with names like Pettipaws, Wiscus and George Pushdragon--he used
the latter name when entering crossword competitions in Time and Tide"
(page 251 of the American edition--Simon and Schuster, 1984).

                                                                   --Greg--