-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Canto ergo possum
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:19:16 -0500
From: Grace Davis <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

One of Pound's favorite's was Harris and the stories about Br'er
Rabbit.  That is where "Possum" comes from as a nickname for Eliot.
  -G. Davis

Tim Romano wrote:

<<Tom,
I don't know that Pound regarded Eliot as "spiritually dead"; the
nickname suggests a poet-persona whose voice has a disembodied
quality--  the voice of a poet who  is "playing dead" -- holding his own
severed head in his
hand, as it were. This quality is one that William Carlos Williams did
not like at all; he refers to Eliot as "frozen" or "sub-zero" or
something like that--I can't remember his exact words or where he says
this. But In
_Paterson_ where the frozen lettuces or cabbages are tossed off the
bridge and smash onto the frozen river below, I think Williams must be
dealing with Eliot.
Tim Romano