:-)

Some kind of transference between the milton-l & this list? The post
below seems to refer to a New York Times article on a (London) TLS
article by John Carey (a well-known Milton scholar) suggesting that
Samson Angonistes encouraged terrorism. I posted a couple paragraphs
from the article to the milton list, & quite a lengthy thread has
developed there.

I find the last sentence below rather startling, however: "They
[Enlightenment thinkers] are the ones who started so many wars for
ideas." Surely one of the most blood-soaked 'ideas' in human history has
been the bizarre idea of the Trinity == an idea that simply can't exist
without being supported by force. And I don't believe any Enlightenment
thinker made much fuss about the Trinity. The last hanging for
unitarianism in england was, I believe, 1692 or 1695; the last burning
sometime early in that century.

That brings us back to _East Coker_ and TSE finding his beginning there,
substituting a happy country dance for the innumerable rural riots
(bloodily suppressed) in 16th-century england. Tattered aras indeed.

The thread on milton-l swings between anguished complaints about the
relevance/irrelevance to Milton & heated arguments about what the word
"terrorism" _really_ means.

Carrol