Steve, I follow your argument but yet ... yet ... it doesn't explain
the "--Yet."

I read your post as trying to get two points across, that something
happened after the return from the Hyacinth garden and that the
"--Yet" is important to understand that.

It seems that you are trying to get to the meaning of
"awful" in "awful daring of a moment's surrender" to be awe-full (or
sublime) and dread-full at the same time by using Saha's word
equivalents and the comparing them. Hell yet heaven.  (via the
transforms "I was neither / Living nor dead" -> Lucifer -> Hell and
"Looking into the heart of light" -> eternal light -> Heaven.)  But
Eliot's "--Yet" appears before any of those words.  It could be
removed or replaced with an "--And" and it wouldn't affect your
argument at all.

As for the second theme of your post, I'll see about getting around to
it seperately later.

Let me tell you about two explanations of the "--Yet" that I can
accept.

One is that it makes us pay attention to the fact that the moment of
"Looking into the heart of light, the silence" did NOT occur in the
Hyacinth garden but later (your post makes me think that you are aware
of this.)

In a few earlier posts I've mentioned the possibility that Eliot's
quoting the "hyacinth girl" and then following that by the non-quote
could be a way of distancing the events in time but not in person.
That is to say, the person quoted is the same person who later tells
us that at some time following the time of the quote he could no
longer speak or see.  This makes the narrative voice of TWL and the
"hyacinth girl" the same person.  A bit of paraphrasing may bring this
in clearer.  'I said "They called me the hyacinth girl" yet [later,] I
could not speak.'

These are not the only explanations that I'll take but so far I can't
accept your explanation for the "--Yet."

Now, on a related topic, what do you think of the wording of "when we
came back?"  I think that in today's speech one is inclined to think
of a location of some importance in common to the two people.  It
could mean a spot occupied previously by the two, like a restaurant,
but the "late" makes it seem to me to be the home of one or the other.
And, as I mentioned, a common home would be what I would think of
first.  Anybody else want to say what they think of "when we came
back?"

Regards,
    Rick Parker