Marcia Karp wrote:

> Wow!  Thanks, Sara, for explaining these things.  About all I can add is
> that in rewriting sentences (my occupation for the past several years) I
> always enjoyed the chain of changes necessitated by one change.

This reminds me of a gimmick I tried in a writing class about 40 years
ago. I gave it up because it was simply too time consuming to carry it
out. I duplicated a paragraph of prose with a number of words (for the
most part prepositions, adverbs, conjunctions) underlined. The
assignment was to rewrite the passage, keeping as close as possible to
the original, but not using the words underlined. It was pretty
interesting, but as I say too time consuming (and deadly dull) for the
instructor to go over. The idea behind it was to give monolingual
students the same (or at least analogous) sort of writing practice that
translation gives.

Carrol