Rickard A. Parker wrote

>I think that Eliot wrote TWL principally to get problems off his chest
>and to recover from from his dry period of creativity.  Thus, for its
>eventual publication he was more likely to let Pound have his way with
>the edits.  Eliot was done with it at that time (although he still had
>to add notes.)

Dear Rick,
    I don't follow your logic, or at least how I understand it: given
the reasons Eliot wrote the poem, he was likely [I don't see in the full
post what "more" is compared to] to let Pound ... .  That is, I don't
see what your "thus" is summing up.  How is your proposed origin of the
poem related to Pound and edits?

    Poets are people and so subject to a complex of behaviors.  Eliot
might have been done with the poem, as you say (if by this you mean he
stopped working on it in any way), but all my experience with poets
living and dead makes me less inclined to believe this than to believe
that for the rest of his life he had moments of thinking why didn't I do
this (or that).  Not that he might not then think, there was good reason
for what he was questioning and was able to rule out this (or that).

Marcia