am 11.1.2003 16:45 Uhr schrieb Marcia Karp unter [log in to unmask]:

> Carrol Cox wrote and Gunnar replied
>
>> I was referring to the phrase "the among Germans so often deplored
>> invasion." We would ordinarily in English say something like "the
>> invasion which many Germans so often deplore." One may parody it with
>> some such sentence as "the hit by the thrown through stretched on the
>> grass ball ball window boy." It will work in a fully declensional
>> language like Russian -- but gee.
>>

> My initial sentence happens to be an all too literal translation of a German
> sentence. I gladly invite you to a German list and then it we'll talk!
>

> Dear Gunnar,
> Given your impeccable English, I'd assumed either a typing mishap or
> missing marks (but not sound) of subordination:
>
> the (among Germans) so-often-deplored invasion    [hyphens optional]
>
> I don't think it at all equivalent to the boy on the grass, but decline
> to press my points upon the words.
>

> Marcia

My dear Marcia,

your qualification of my English which was, compared to your mastery of the
language, a grotesque exaggeration. Thanks for the support, anyway -- it
will surely boost my ego!

The matter reminds me of a cartoon from  New Yorker of an angry guy sitting
at a restaurant table, reading the menu, and a dumbfound waiter, and the
caption:

"I'll have the misspelled 'Ceasar' salad and the improperly hyphenated veal
osso-buco."

Cheers,

Gunnar

PS:
To boot, he failed noticing that 'veal osso-buco' is a pleonasm...