Carrol Cox wrote and Gunnar replied

>I was referring to the phrase "the among Germans so often deplored
>invasion." We would ordinarily in English say something like "the
>invasion which many Germans so often deplore." One may parody it with
>some such sentence as "the hit by the thrown through stretched on the
>grass ball ball window boy." It will work in a fully declensional
>language like Russian -- but gee.

My initial sentence happens to be an all too literal translation of a German
sentence. I gladly invite you to a German list and then it we'll talk!

Dear Gunnar,
    Given your impeccable English, I'd assumed either a typing mishap or
missing marks (but not sound) of subordination:

    the (among Germans) so-often-deplored invasion    [hyphens optional]

I don't think it at all equivalent to the boy on the grass, but decline
to press my points upon the words.

Marcia