In a message dated 1/10/03 5:18:31 PM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Language has always been a "class thing," which is part of what I meant
> by "unfortunate."

I don't think that is the true account of why English is the world language.
I think it has more to do with the dominance of the American economy and
international business, and this has not much to do with class, since many
Europeans put Americans down for being '"plebeian," with our gas guzzling
SUV's and ultra middle class society. As far as class goes, it's considered
very classy to be able to speak French, certainly.

But, there's an explanation beyond Class or the American economy or the
American military.  It's the reason why the French young people after leaving
the bars at night sing American and British rock songs in the early hours of
the morning on the rues in English.  There's a reason why photos of Jim
Morrison may be found at hundreds of shops on the West Bank and hung at
practically all cafes.  There's a reason why thousands of French persons
could recite these lyrics to me in English:

My Spanish Harlem Mona Lisa
You're my reason for reason
The step in my groove

And you said this life
Aint good enough
I would give my world to lift you up
I could change my life to better
Suit your mood
Cause you're so smooth.

Give me your heart make it real
or else forget about it.

So, I thought the reason is not just business. . . but also music and poetry.
 Indeed, it has been said that English is the ultra communication language.
But then, I asked my husband.  Is English the best communication language.
Is it the most expressive language? He is totally fluent in two languages,
and very knowledgeable in two others.  He said to me no, that it is indeed
our dominance in the world, that to really make it any medium that you have
to capture the imagination of America, that Spanish and French are extremely
expressive, communicative also, in their own right. But so, why do they sing
these songs English then?  Husband says because this is where it is happening
. . . because we're so smooth.

Regards,

Kate