> Sara Trevisan wrote:
>

> Dear Carrol,
>
> Sorry to bother with such a silly statement, but I missed the bulk of the discussion (I cancelled some posts by mistake). I cannot understand what is the participial construction you are referring to in Russian. I'm studying both English and Russian at universty and I'd like to understand what you were referring to.
>
> Thank you,
> Sara --

Here was my orignial post tht led to this:

Gunnar Jauch wrote:

> Here's a funny site on the (mis)use of the apostrophe:
>
> http://members.aol.com/apostrophs/apostrophen.htm
>
> Although it is in German, you will understand it.
> It also depicts nicely the among Germans so often deplored invasion of
> English language upon ours.
>
> Gunnar

Most beautiful invasion of English by German I've ever seen. :-) That
construction can drive the anglophone student of German or Russian out
of his/her mind.
****

I was referring to the phrase "the among Germans so often deplored
invasion." We would ordinarily in English say something like "the
invasion which many Germans so often deplore." One may parody it with
some such sentence as "the hit by the thrown through stretched on the
grass ball ball window boy." It will work in a fully declensional
language like Russian -- but gee.

Carrol

Carrol