In a message dated 1/10/2003 10:35:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

The first
generation of signers used a kind of creole, but their children automatically
developed a complete and complex grammar.  That seems to be how
language acquisition works.

Language has definitely become a "class" thing, as well.  For instance, Parisian French is considered the highest form of "French," which very much bothers the speakers of Canadian French. They are very sensitive about this matter.  You mention Creole.  There are several Haitian employees of a local supermarket in this area who speak Creole.  My husband understands Creole but speaks to them in French, which they also understand.  When they converse with my husband, they use French, not Creole, and are very careful with their words and accents, as they are very aware that my husband speaks Parisian French.  Although I studied French in school, I obtained much of my deeper knowledge of the language through my husband.  Since he speaks Parisian French with that accent, I though I must, as well, but no . . . my husband informs me that I speak French just like an American.  Ha. Ha.