In a message dated 1/10/2003 10:35:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  The first
> generation of signers used a kind of creole, but their children
> automatically
> developed a complete and complex grammar.  That seems to be how
> language acquisition works.

Language has definitely become a "class" thing, as well.  For instance,
Parisian French is considered the highest form of "French," which very much
bothers the speakers of Canadian French. They are very sensitive about this
matter.  You mention Creole.  There are several Haitian employees of a local
supermarket in this area who speak Creole.  My husband understands Creole but
speaks to them in French, which they also understand.  When they converse
with my husband, they use French, not Creole, and are very careful with their
words and accents, as they are very aware that my husband speaks Parisian
French.  Although I studied French in school, I obtained much of my deeper
knowledge of the language through my husband.  Since he speaks Parisian
French with that accent, I though I must, as well, but no . . . my husband
informs me that I speak French just like an American.  Ha. Ha.