Date sent:              Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:49:03 -0600
From:                   "Earls, JP" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Meter in LG IV/208
To:                     [log in to unmask]

I agree here with Greg, except that I hear a common hymnodic elision
between "the" and "intolerable," sometimes printed as "th' in" or with a
half-moon sort of thing linking the "e" to the "in,"  hence
      _    /  _  /  _      /   _    /
"Th' in tol er a ble shirt of flame"
Not that it would actually be *read* that way, but that is the implied
meter ticking behind it, by my reckoning. Also, I don't think anyone
pointed out that the first stanza has a strongly implied tetrameter
scansion (using a "feminine" final foot on second and fourth lines
(terror/error), but also having the trimeter third line "Of which the
tongues declare."

J. P. Earls, OSB
St. John' University
Collegeville, MN  56321