Date sent:              Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:17:20 -0500
From:                   Robert Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Proud of Maine--OT
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Nancy,

This same group came to my hometown(Wakefield, MA) for a "meeting".
The
meeting was held in our magnificent library.  The trustees of the library
decided that they could not prevent this neo-nazi group from meeting after
consulting their lawyers.  Similar to the recent events in Maine there was
a counter demonstration in Wakefield at the same time as the neo-nazi
meeting.
  I attended the counter demonstration held at a church not far from the
library.  The theme was about love and tolerance.  A large crowd attended.
However, I questioned whether this was a proper response.  I decided that
I should in some way show my outrage at what was happening in my
town.  I
walked to the library and to my amazement it was like walking on to a
movie set.  Main Street was closed, thousands of people were in the
streets, hundreds of riot police in full battle gear surrounded the
library.  Only about a dozen people attended the meeting in contrast to
the thousands of people outside protesting.  Somehow I felt that standing
outside the library in protest was the proper response.  The protest was
peaceful except for one incident of a protester hitting a member of the
nazi group over the head with a sign causing a concussion.

Bob Summers