Date sent:              Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:00:51 EST
From:                   Kate Troy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Screw grammar / Hypercorrection
To:                     [log in to unmask]

In a message dated 1/10/2003 10:35:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  The first
> generation of signers used a kind of creole, but their children
> automatically
> developed a complete and complex grammar.  That seems to be how
> language acquisition works.

Language has definitely become a "class" thing, as well.  For instance,
Parisian French is considered the highest form of "French," which very
much bothers the speakers of Canadian French. They are very sensitive
about this matter.  You mention Creole.  There are several Haitian
employees of a local supermarket in this area who speak Creole.  My
husband understands Creole but speaks to them in French, which they
also
understand.  When they converse with my husband, they use French, not
Creole, and are very careful with their words and accents, as they are
very aware that my husband speaks Parisian French.  Although I studied
French in school, I obtained much of my deeper knowledge of the language
through my husband.  Since he speaks Parisian French with that accent, I
though I must, as well, but no . . . my husband informs me that I speak
French just like an American.  Ha. Ha.