Date sent:              Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:56:41 -0600
From:                   Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Screw grammar / Hypercorrection
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Nancy Gish wrote:

> All languages, in any case, reproduce complex grammatical structures
> even if they were lost in one form.  For example, an incredible number
> of young people in Nicaragua are deaf because they had no antibiotics
> that were not also dangerous in having deafness as a side effect.  The
> first generation of signers used a kind of creole, but their children
> automatically developed a complete and complex grammar.  That seems to
> be how language acquisition works.  Judith Kegl, at my university, has
> worked in Nicaragua on this.

Interesting -- and it lends credibility to the speculation of the
anthropologist Ian Tattersall that language was, in the first instance,
invented by children (or rather invented a number of different times and
places by children and then picked up by adults). See his _The Monkey in
the Mirror_ (New York, 2002). He also speculates that words and syntax
represent separate inventions.

Carrol