Date sent:              Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:22:08 +0000
From:                   Mayne Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Screw grammar / Hypercorrection
To:                     [log in to unmask]

it's worth considering if much grammar need correction at all.  I was (am)
terrible at grammar and spelling and was nearly labeled as dislexic (sp?)
however since become a language teacher and learning a more phoneticaly
written language and studying the history of our language, I wonder
whether it wasn't so much me but the language's fault.  I can correct my
students who say "he's more big than you" but not my friend who told me
"it's more rare,"  Or Shakespeare who used double superlatives.  I can
tell my students that after "going" and before a noun they need to use
"to" but not my father who tells me "I'm goin' London," it's all such a
mess really. Since Englishis the world langauge shouldn't there be some
kind of "world English" created, with it's own dictionary and
pronunciation?  Or perhaps we could use the phonic alphabet to spell,
wouldn't that be easier?

 $B%M%C%H$r;H$&$R$H$KM-Mx$JFCE5$$$C$Q$$ (B MSN  $B%+!<%I (B
 http://card.msn.co.jp/