Date sent: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:26:33 -0500
Send reply to: "T. S. Eliot Discussion forum." <[log in to unmask]>
From: deleuze oedipus rimbaud <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: 800 American professors and one student are wrong again
To: [log in to unmask]

You are like a teacher, right, cause you sound like a real sexist.
cause it s not just like men, ok, its womyn too.
Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>wrote:Ad hominem means "to
the man" and
refers to critiquing the speaker
rather than the argument. To use the language you did about the
members of the list is thus "ad hominem."

Latin is very useful. "Diatribe" and "invec! tive" come from the Latin, as
do many of the words in your original diatribe. In fact, if we stuck with
Anglo- Saxon, most of our intellectual debate would be hard-put for
language given the history of English after 1066.

It is true that some of the recent posts are extremely political, but in
an intellectual community, it is very hard to police topics. The members
of this list are such a community and many find it a place to discuss,
with people they respect, other things than Eliot. I don't see why any
individual member should use ad hominem arguments on that account,
whether
they agree or not with the posts. To demand that only directly related
material be allowed or used is a "personal consideration." Some of the
most interesting Eliot discussions--from my perspective--have come out of
previous unrelated posts. It is a continuum.

"How horrible of me. . . etc." is precisely the personalizing I objected
to; it shifts the! discussion from ideas to you.

"Self-serving" and "ideologically driven" are ad hominem by definition and
not by interpretation since they address persons and not the content of
speech.

Who are you or any member of the list to define "what a forum is fit for"?
The forum, presumably, makes that choice collectively. It is not an issue
of knowledge but of a shared discussion. We are not an official body with
a mission statement and a set task.

"Outside any such place or set of ideologies" DEFINES "superior
intellectual position." It is based in much current theory of position and
discourse in contrast with assumptions of neutral truths that transcend
location.

I found nothing threatening about what you said. I found it rude,
especially to Steve, whose post you mocked with "rah rah rah." He feels
deeply and for serious reasons, and you treated that as something to
trivialize. That is why I responded.

You are rig! ht that my last remark was sardonic and ad hominem. It was a
reaction to what I still feel was inappropriate language directed at
deeply felt commentary. There is no reason to apologize to me at all as it
was not my post you mocked and it was not to me you directed your satire.
I was sardonic because you made such a point about Latinate language while
using so many Latinate terms but mixing them with a style--affected by
Pound, Cummings, and others--of elaborate casualness.

I am answering all this with genuinely serious reasons since you seemed to
be asking for that rather than exclusively leaping back into personal
invective. I appreciate that and wish it would become a more common kind
of debate.

Merry Christmas,
Nancy