From: Gunnar Jauch
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 12/31/02 8:42 PM
Subject: Meter in LG IV/208

Dear all,

while New Year sweeps across our planet, let us all hope for a peaceful
2003. Let us pray that Mr. Bush shall follow up on his promise given
tonight
to solve all international problems by ways of diplomacy.

I should like to open a new topical thread with the aforementioned
verses
that allude to Julian of Norwich's words, perhaps THE central part of
the
entire Quartets:

Who then devised the torment? Love.
Love is unfamiliar Name
Behind the hands that wove
The intolerable shirt of flame
Which human power cannot remove.

There is, it seems to me, a metric problem with the third line.
All other lines have another rhythm (hexameter?), whereas, in the third,
two beats are missing:

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

~ - ~ - ~ -

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

Rereading and memorizing the poem, I keep stumbling over this anomaly
over
and over again. Think of altering it into  "gentle/caring/magic" hands,
and
the entire stanza would get a more fluent rhythm.

The  stanza's symmetry the different line denotes, however, would be
lost.
And maybe this was the reason why TSE wrote it as such.

Any suggestions?

Gunnar