From: Carrol Cox [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Peter Montgomery wrote:

> I sabotage the sentence! With me is the naked word.
> I spike the verb  all parts of speech are pushed over on their backs.
> I am the master of all that is half-uttered and imperfectly heard.
> Return with me where I am crying out with the gorilla and the bird.

The first and third lines are really quite good. The second line limps
and the fourth line degenerates into jingle. Is the whole thing too long
to post it all?

Given the subject of the lines, one might want to investigate
whether the apparent weaknesses are deliberate.

ONE WAY SONG is a collection of poems and the title of one of them.

Here's a pertinent website with a good review.
http://www.complete-review.com/reviews/lewisw/oneways.htm

Here's a copy of the original edition for sale:
http://www.polybiblio.com/bromerbk/17567.html

Here's himself reading a bit:
http://www.ubu.com/sound/lewis.html

Here is a longer part of one of the poems from the collection.

If so the man you are
I'm no He-man you know, I'm not a He.
I'm not a chesty fellow that says Gee!
I'm not you know a guy that lives on pep.
I'm not a red-blood person who snaps Yep!
You know I've never hunted ovibos,
Nor caribou. I'd make a rotten boss
For any 'outfit'. Oh you know I'm not
Clever with Winchester or cooking-pot.
A Tempyo statuette oerhaps, the Monk Ganjin,
Perhaps a patina laid very thin,
An affair of Han or T'ang, lacquered Mitsuda,
Or the brackets of a japanese pagoda -
Those things are in my line. I am very shure
I should never make a Nansen or McClure.
Forgive my frankness girls! I'm not quite yet
So destitute of manners to forget
What to sex-urge is due, film-etiquette,
What to Garbo, what to Crawford's curls.
I'm sorry if I've been too brutal girls!
iii
The man I am to live and to let live.
The man I am to forget and to forgive.
The man I am to turn upon my heel
I neighbours crude hostility reveal.
The man I am to stand a world of pain.
The man I am to turn my back on gain.
The man I am somewhat to overdo
The Man's part - to be simple, and brave and true.
The man I am to twist my coat about
A beggar in a cold wind. Clout for clout,
I am the man to part with more than most -
I am the perfect guest, the perfect host.
The man I am (don't take this for a boast)
To tread too softly, amybe, if I see
A dream's upon my neighbour's harsh tapis.
The Man I am to exact it only with the pen -
The man to extact it only with the pen -
The man I am to let the machete rust,
The man I am to cry - Dust to the dust!
'The World commands our Flesh and Dust' - that's me!
I am the man to shun Hamlet's soliloquy.

I'm no He-man you know, I'm not a He.
I'm not a chesty fellow that says Gee!
I'm not you know a guy that lives on pep.
I'm not a red-blood person who snaps Yep!
You know I've never hunted ovibos,
Nor caribou. I'd make a rotten boss
For any 'outfit'. Oh you know I'm not
Clever with Winchester or cooking-pot.
A Tempyo statuette perhaps, the Monk Ganjin,
Perhaps a patina laid very thin,
An affair of Han or T'ang, lacquered Mitsuda,
Or the brackets of a japanese pagoda
Those things are in my line. I am very shure
I should never make a Nansen or McClure.
Forgive my frankness girls! I'm not quite yet
So destitute of manners to forget
What to sex-urge is due, film-etiquette,
What to Garbo, what to Crawford's curls.
I'm sorry if I've been too brutal girls!
iii
The man I am to live and to let live.
The man I am to forget and to forgive.
The man I am to turn upon my heel
If neighbours crude hostility reveal.
The man I am to stand a world of pain.
The man I am to turn my back on gain.
The man I am somewhat to overdo
The Man's part - to be simple, and brave and true.
The man I am to twist my coat about
A beggar in a cold wind. Clout for clout,
I am the man to part with more than most -
I am the perfect guest, the perfect host.
The man I am (don't take this for a boast)
To tread too softly, maybe, if I see
A dream's upon my neighbour's harsh tapis.
The Man I am to exact what is due to men,
The man to extact it only with the pen -
The man I am to let the machete rust,
The man I am to cry - Dust to the dust!
'The World commands our Flesh and Dust' - that's me!
I am the man to shun Hamlet's soliloquy.
P.