The results of our Christmas Bird Count in Phelps and Crawford Counties,
centered at Meramec Springs Park, from Dec. 21 have now been entered
on-line at the Audubon/BirdSource web page.
http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/

The Curse of Good Weather!
Our count had beautiful weather, an outstanding day to be out.  But the
problem with great weather is that the birds aren't concentrated
anywhere.
Our species total this year was 59 species.  Pretty typical for us,
perhaps a little low.
Some of the highlights/lowlights:

NO (not one) Great Blue Heron (what does this mean?? are they further
north/ south, dispersed? declined?)
No Barred Owls or E. Screech Owls, but 8 Great Horned owls.
Bald Eagle --- High count of 6 (2 adults, 4 immatures)
Red Tailed Hawk, high count of 25
American Kestrel, high count tie @ 7
Wild Turkey, high count @ 66
N. Bobwhite, 10 (2 coveys) after an absence of 6 years
Mourning Dove, high count @ 157
Carolina Chickadee, high count @ 112
Marsh Wren, 1, new for count
NO Cedar Waxwings & a paltry 2 Yellow-rumped Warbler
most other species numbers are about average, except Sparrows:  We had
one of the lowest counts of sparrows species in years.

Linda Frederick

(My husband & I let for Minneapolis the Saturday after the count and
returned to Rolla on Christmas day.  We looked for Snowy Owls all the
way up and back, but only discovered a lot of white plastic bags in
fields.  Darn)