1) YES, it is important to look through the C. geese and know for what you
are looking. Believe I may have had one of the smaller sub-species at the
Borrow Pits near Horseshoe Lake in Madison co, IL.
It was almost the same size as the mallards!
It was a collared bird that was among other bigger Canadas and because I
didn't know what to look for as to the sub-species ID and couldn't get the
full number on the collar, I'll never know for sure.
Lessons learned (hopefully)

2) Re: C.geese as pests
Birdies are nice until they start making a mess, but yet developers continue
to create vast expanses of grass and large picturesque ponds in subdivisions
that will attract the messy buggers. When the birds come to enjoy the ideal
habitat and pooped all over those nice patios, then the homeowners are up in
arms.
Don't buy homes with that type of landscaping and if they DON'T build it,
the birds won't come!
[But then, Martha Stewart has to have some perfectly hand-crafted "stopper"
to solve the problem.....no less being sold on her website for a pretty
penny (to help boost the economy......and pay for lawyers' fees)]

3)To chase or to baste, that is the question.
When it was purposed to reduce the escalating number of birds that were
fouling the lakes/pools in Forest Park by: a) using dogs to chase the birds
out.... or b) harvesting the geese to feed the poor in St. Louis (they would
be sent to MN to process and then shipped back to the St. Louis area), some
"Save the Geese" type group came to the rescue of these "loveable"
creatures.
I believe now there are all kinds of  guidelines of what can be and can't be
done to C. geese in the City. (have to try to find the article)

My solution to the soaring numbers of geese in the St. L area?...... Let
each person in these "Save the Geese" groups take a couple hundred birds
to stay in THEIR backyards and see how long they remain loveable.

"Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat "

Cheers,
Charlene Malone
Chesterfield, MO/St. Louis co.