Today's Wall St. Journal 12-27 has a front page article by James P. Sterba
suggesting that, "Feeding Wild Birds may harm them and Environment." When
you look at the front page you will immediately notice that the bird
depicted isn't from around here. It looks like a European Goldfinch with
most of the gold on the wings missing. He is suggesting that yard feeding
can encourage unwanted guests like bears, racoons etc., spread disease like
finch conjunctivitis, cause birds to hit windows, be killed by cats, and
even become dependent upon humans. It also promotes via Niger purchaces
repressive regimes like Burma. He quotes statistics gathered by Cornell
Feederwatch. In my 12 years as a Feederwatcher I haven't seen Cornell coming
out against feeding.
Dean