I have a feeling one or two of my recent comments (to which, by the way, no one seems to have responded) might have made the present acrimony more bitter than it would have otherwise been.

Needless to say, I have nothing against Nancy Gish or any other contributor to these frequently inane exchanges.   But, having spent my  formative years in a semi-totalitarian state (Poland of the 1940s and 1950s),
I have a serious problem with people who seem to be always ready to provide a definitive reading of, or ruling on, any and all subjects that might come up, and coach their pronouncements in apodictic terms.   Even Aristotle would hesitate sometimes, I am sure, to cut off all further debate on the strength of one paragraph from him.

Best wishes to all,

Jacek Niecko
Washington DC