From Steve:

> >From what I understand, 'Ulysses' was recognized as a great Modernist
work
> well before its full publication (from its serialization in the
periodicals
> prior to its 1922 publication as a book). So there's no reason to assume
that
> TSE would think a reference to 'Penelope' would be unrecognizable (or stay
> that way for long, even if the allusion would not be immediately
recognizable
> when TWL was first printed).

The Little Review stopped publishing instalments of Ulysses way before the
'Penelope' chapter - see among others Jackson Bryer's 'Joyce, Ulysses, and
the Little Review', South Atlantic Quarterly 66 (1976): 148-64.

Pound was the one who mediated between Joyce and The Little Review. No
wonder his head was still full of Ulysses when he looked at Eliot's drafts.
In Pound's mind, 'yes!' conjured up echoes of 'Penelope' - but who else
would have made the connection?

> Not all allusions in TWL were footnoted by TSE (as I'm sure you already
> know), so this doesn't establish whether or not "yes!" is a Ulysses
allusion.
> Do you have any suggestions as to what other work could be alluded to, or
why
> TSE put a rather odd "yes!" at the end of a quote from the Tempest, where
it
> certainly didn't come from?

Pat Sloane once pointed out that many the quotes in TWL were slightly
changed or disfigured. This one from The Tempest would be no exception.
The 'yes!' may be odd. But does it connote 'liveliness'?
- It could equally be read as sarcastic or defiant.
- Also, does it have to be an allusion? A quick search in concordances would
yield so many possibilities...
- I'm not sure that Molly's final 'Yes' (capital, but no exclamation mark)
is so lively as it's sometimes cracked up to be. An emphatic Yes to life and
Bloom? "and I thought well as well him as another"....

> As to why he accepted Pound's suggestion and took it out in the final
form, I
> can think of several reasons.

He certainly dropped the 'yes', but it doesn't mean he agreed with Pound's
interpretation of it. One could equally argue that he dropped it because he
feared some other readers might react like Pound, which wasn't what he
meant, at all.

Still unconvinced,

Yours,

RaphaŽl