> Actually, I'm under the impression that much of middle class
> womanhood in th UK was more than happy with her, esp. because
> of how she kept the patriarchy in its place, and let ordinary
> people get on with the business of the nation. The fact that
> ordinary at that time didn't equate with left wing may be
> puzzling to some outsiders from certain nations.

Both 'middle-class' and 'ordinary' simplify British society at that time -
or, for that matter, any kind of society.
If I understand what you mean by 'ordinary', I'll add that for much of the
20th century, the Tories managed to attract the votes of many 'ordinary'
people. They seem to have lost that ability in 1997.

Yours,

RaphaŽl