Fair enough, RaphaŽl. I agree entirely that you should be
cautious. I, having a whole raft of US relatives have a different
awareness of the matter.

I still find it curious that when we discussed TANBO and
BONES, no one took Eliot to task for being racist in his
inclusion of the minstrel element. Certainly there was
a plentiful supply of critics for the discussion of
"Burbank" and as always the mere mention of AFTER STRANGE GODS
gets a rise, even though it would probably make sense to discuss
and determine just whatthe nature of his prejudice was there.
Ignorance is not bliss on such subjects.

Cheers,
Peter

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery
Dept. of English