> Fairly active lists like this one

I remember looking once at a page listing literary discussion lists. The
posting to TSE was described as 'slightly frantic'.
I personally have few points of comparison. I remember spending some time on
the Woolf list. It seemed less eventful, certainly less confrontational -
although there was one acrimonious bout when someone accused Woolf of
insensivity because of a reference she made to 'the niggers on the pier at
Brighton' (by which she meant nigger-minstrels). So I guess it may be
preferable not to use such references lightly...

Yours,

RaphaŽl