Someone said:

Frances Rushworth wrote:

> As an ordinary middle class woman in London, it was not my
> impression that Mrs Thatcher enjoyed general support.

As a student in New York City, it was not my impression that Mrl Reagan enjoyed general support at about that time, either.  I do not know if the circles to which an "ordinary middle class woman in Londan" was exposed were more or less reprsentative of the relevant electorate than those to which a student in New York City was exposed, but the election results suggest she and I both didn't get around enough to serve as reliable pollsters.

Tom K