> From: Nancy Gish [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
>
> I really don't think you can blame feminism for Condi Rice any more than
> you could praise masculism for Martin Luther King or Gandhi or Viet Nam
> objectors who went to Canada.

I think your grouping of these latter three together overlooks an important point.

ML King and Gandhi fought repressive systems from within through passive resistance, which included accepting the punishment meted out by the oppressors and using that punishment to illustrate the injustice of what was being done.  Those who went to Canada to avoid the Vietnam draft -- whatever their degree of principle, which presumably varied -- were engaging in something different.  Muhammad Ali would be the better example to complete your triad, as he remained in the country and thus remained subject to the law he was challenging (and was ultimately vindicated, albeit on dubious technical grounds unworthy of the principle he was standing for.)  That's my view of it, anyway.

Tom K