In a message dated 12/30/2002 2:43:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, Kate Troy <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Actually, I was not limiting anything, but questioning his entire statement:
>"Your right to share in my property. . . "     I was wondering what right?
>Even intellectual property is protected for a certain number of years.  What
>right does anyone have to share in any of his property unless he allows the
>sharing?  I just don't understand what "right" is talking about?

Last night I caught Ken Burns' 1985 documentary on Huey Long.  There's a good example of an asserted right to share in what everyone recognizes as "property" in the most traditional sense.  Although Long may have been unusual in coming from what many saw as the political right with his proposals, they were (and are), in watered-down form, mainstream in many respects, once you accept the propriety of a progressive income tax.

Tom K