Washington Post, Dec. 2, 2002

Antiwar Effort Gains Momentum
Growing Peace Movement's Ranks Include Some Unlikely Allies

By Evelyn Nieves
Washington Post Staff Writer

AMHERST, Mass. -- [clip]
"I said that all mothers should automatically be against war," Reed
said. "It was against their nature to be violent instead of nurturing."
Maybe, she said, it was time to start a movement -- Mothers Against War.
*******

I guess the cliche of the nurturing nature of Woman, at least of
mothers, is still around. But as I said of _all_ mass movements, they
are internally varied and even contradictory. For one thing, people
enter them carrying all the baggage of "standard culture" and ideology,
and only at a second or later stage do they begin a self-critique of
that baggage.

Perhaps it would be useful (particularly for an e-list on Eliot) to
remember that in some ways "Modernism" was a movement of sorts. And any
student of modernism (or of any one or two or three "modernist" figures)
soon realizes how difficult it is to pin that down to any formula.

Carrol