Nancy Gish wrote:

> Dear Carrol,
>
> [clip[But as
> long as people comment on what they seem to identify with parodies from
> the media and general misunderstandings, it seems useless to pursue the
> discussion.  It is two monologues on parallel tracks.

Probably.

> It is an ironic fact, however, that although many--maybe a majority--of
> women deny being feminists, they then say "I'm not a feminist but. . .but I

I encountered that phrase countless times in my classes from the late
'70s through my retirement in '97, both in written work and in
discussion.

Incidentally, on the history of the term "political correct." It was
first used in humorous self-criticism within the women's movement in the
'70s or early '80s. Then the first George Bush used it in a commencement
address at the University of Michigan. In its present usage it seems to
be a way of labelling minimal human decency in conduct or language.
Anything is justified by saying, "I know it's not politically correct to
say this, but . . ." Probably some cop has said to a black teenager
someplace, "I know it's not politically correct to do this, but" (and
then he shoots the kid).

Carrol