Marcia Karp wrote:
> [clip]
>     Carrol put it well in distinguishing "between 'awful' poems which
> one remembers and ordinary bad verse."  It's not too late to hint that
> you'd like a gift of _The Stuffed Owl: An anthology of Bad Verse_,
> edited by D.B. Wyndham Lewis and Charles Lee, cartoons by Max Beerbohm.

The Intro to that may be what I was vaguely remembering. I've owned it
for many years and it is indeed a delight. If it's still in print it's
worth buying.

A taste of it:

        The two divinest things that man has got,
        A lovely woman in a rural spot.
                        Leigh Hunt
(And parodied by Patmore:

        The two divinest things this world can grab,
        A handsome woman in a hansom cab.)

        So past the strong heroic soul away,
        And when they buried him, the little port
        Had seldom seen a costlier funeral.
                        Tennyson, Enoch Arden

        Entrapt inside a submarine,
        With death approaching on the scene,