Marcia Karp wrote:

>It may be the most awful and utterly delightful poem in English. EAPope
> has written criticism of the poem that matches it in being bizarre and
> pleasing.

I think I once came across a discussion of the difference between
"awful" poems which one remembers and ordinary bad verse. If no such
essay exists, it ought to.

I forget both author and title of my favorite _awful_ poem. It's the
pre-ww1 poem with the refrain, "Play up, play up, and play the game,"
and the line "Red with the blood of a broken square." It was one of the
most popular poems in England until it drowned on the Somme.

Carrol