Gunnar Jauch wrote:

> Dear Nancy,
>
> why such a furore -- there's much worse than that (racism is as American as
> apple pie):

Note that this response turns the thread into a discussion among whites
behind the back of non-whites. It tends, intentionally or
unintentionally, to exclude non-whites from the conversation.

And see, _any_ response (at this point) -- including my response --
merely continues that objective exclusion.

I don't know whether the study of literature as literature has a
redeeming social purpose or not, but if it does part of that surely
should be the ability to look at any given event through the eyes of
others -- specifically, of those excluded.

Carrol