am 9.12.2002 23:07 Uhr schrieb Nancy Gish unter [log in to unmask]:

> Peter,
>
> This is the most offensive message ever posted on this list in the time I
> have been on it.  Have you no idea what you are saying?  Do you think
> that ludicrous icon masks or mitigates it?
>
> I hope I am not the only one who finds this astonishingly unacceptable.
>
> Nancy
>

> Date sent:              Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:46:37 -0800
> Send reply to:          "T. S. Eliot Discussion forum." <[log in to unmask]>
> From:                   Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:                Re: Watch out for the economy
> To:                     [log in to unmask]
>
> From: John Ryskamp
>
> You should worry less about differences between parties and start
> worrying that your economy, like the American, is about to fall apart.
> Here in California the State budget deficit is publicly stated to be $21
> billion. But do you know what the whisper number is?  SIXTY billion, and
> growing rapidly. Come about February you will see how bad it really is.  I
> suppose a lot of people on this thread are tenured professors--well, these
> are the folks they're talking about cutting here, even at prestigious
> Berkeley. You shouldn't get caught unaware by this--you're never really
> told how bad it is going to get, you have to ferret it out of people who
> have reason to know how revenues and sales are really doing: California is
> a disaster area, and if California sinks, America drowns (and Britain
> never had a chance). Start agitating for rights that will keep you in your
> housing regardless of what happens to the economic situation or your own
> economic situation.   Enuf bout Eliot--aux armes!

> > Yes Mark. And what do you
> > do for an encore? Put on black face paint with white lips, and roll around
> > on your bum?
> >
> > ;->
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Peter

Dear Nancy,

why such a furore -- there's much worse than that (racism is as American as
apple pie):

Remember Earl Butz, Secretary of Agriculture in the Kennedy administration?
His dubious claim to fame was a statement overheard by a newspaper reporter
for which he had to step back from office:

"All the niggers need is loose shoes, a tight pussy and a warm place to
shit."

Sorry for shocking you:

Gunnar

PS:

Like Steve, I deplore Carrol's unfortunate comparison of the Israelis to the
Nazis:

Most analogies to the Shoah, the systematic, industrialized  butchering of
an ethnic group, are unwarranted and ludicrous since they tend to trivialize
unparalleled, horrendous deeds.