In a message dated 12/8/02 9:38:19 PM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> .  I don't think
> she was or that she was generally beloved by middle class women.  So
> what I meant to do was make the point that her 12 years did not mean she
> was ever a majority favorite among women or anyone else.
>
> Was she?
>
> I don't think there is any comparison between Le Pen and either Labour or
> the Lib-Dems.  Surely that must be obvious.  Neither is or was a radical
> extremist party, and in fact the Lib-Dems have been very centrist on many
> issues all along.

Well, to stay in power for 12 years, some middle class people must have liked
her a bit or believed that she was doing a decent job, at any rate.
Yes, there is a great difference between their system of government and ours,
but I wouldn't call the Lib-Dems centrists.  They are, in fact, very liberal.
 They are extremely pro-Europe and in fact, would adopt the Euro in a
heartbeat, whereas Labour has consistently stated that Britain will not adopt
the Euro without a general referendum of the people.  Labour is almost
completely centrist, which is why they won so decisively in the last couple
of elections.  Back to Thatcher, it was actually the Tories who had hand in
bringing about her downfall from power.