"Rickard A. Parker" wrote:

> The poet is Tom Paulin, and his work poses a difficult question. Why
> would a writer stake his reputation on excoriating T.S. Eliot for his
> anti-Semitism [in "WindDog"], and at the same time risk that
> reputation by writing verse that can be seen as offensive to Jews
> ["Caught in the Crossfire"] and is even - as the kerfuffle over
> Harvard's recent invitation, cancellation, and re-invitation to him
> demonstrates - regarded by some Jews as being as anti-Semitic as
> anything Eliot ever wrote?

Actually, the question does not seem at all difficult to me, and
attacking anti-semitism seems to me perfectly compatible with attacking
Israel & the Israeli state. Both positions are attacks on racism, Israel
being perhaps the most racist state in the world today.

Anyone who disapproves of Hitler's treatment of the Jews must, to be
consistent, equally disapprove of the Israeli treatment of Palestinians.

Carrol